PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I change flight school 37hrs into training?
Old 6th Oct 2014, 12:56
Corsican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It took me about 18 months for my PPL and that includes 4-5 months spread across that time for family holidays and where the weather annihilated flying (e.g. 7 weekends in a row). I was with the same instructor up until shortly before my QXC when he dropped to just 1 day a week instructing which did not always work for me. As a result, I finished my PPL having flown with 4 different instructors. Each had quite different styles but I was open to that and felt it was a good learning experience. I got along quite well with my original instructor, but it was good to have contrasting techniques and styles and keeps you focussed on why you are training, i.e. get the PPL. I was also familiar with the club and knew most of the instructors by sight so did not want to change the overall scene.

I can still hear one of them (as she repeatedly slapped my wrist) telling me off on how I was going about trimming. The trick is not to take things personally, listen and adopt the "right" technique that works for you (so long as you are not inventing your own). I think having other instructors works well.

I had a lull where I was slipping into thinking and being a perpetual student PPL. The instructors were telling me that I could fly fine but I was thinking I needed to work on something more to be proficient or that my instructor would tell me if I was doing something wrong. Not having an instructor in the aircraft removes that sub-conscious safety net and makes you realise that you have to make the decisions yourself. That is what they are looking for when they are flying with you as well. I never felt my school was trying to milk me for more money - if anything, they were urging me on.

At the end of the day, I got my PPL at the beginning of this year and enjoy flying more and more. In fact, it is positively different to how I thought about flying whilst doing the PPL. The PPL is really just the first stage. You will really start flying - and learning - after the PPL. If you can do it, I would just go for it so that come springtime, you will be able to spend the rest of the year(s) enjoying what you have achieved, consolidating what you learned and exploring the type of flying that really puts that massive smile on your face when you are up there. Good luck!

@ SSD - interesting what you say about different a/c. There are only 152/PA28's where I fly from. Managed to get a ride or two from some owners (kitbuild, Piper and a Tiger Moth) but wondering what you think would be a good a/c to try and get into to build the flying skills?