PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The vital importance of high altitude stall recovery training in simulators
Old 6th Oct 2014, 11:13
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A37575
Having studied the posts by the OP, he made the point several times that it was necessary to get the nose below the horizon which means a descent in order to increase speed which is the same as lowering the angle of attack in my book. You seemed to have mis-understood his point judging by the highlighted text.
Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

The problem of the misunderstanding is imho that the title of the thread is

"The vital importance of high altitude stall recovery training in simulators"

and the discussion centers around the topic of an "approach to stall recovery"

In the situation the thread title suggests the AOA might be anything from AOA being slightly greater than stall AOA to 60° degrees above stall AOA, whereas the statements i'm commenting on cover only the area just prior and just above stall AOA.

Now if the title of the thread is misplaced and the discussion likes to concentrate on the approach to stall situation and thus the avoidance of a stall situation, then the title should be changed or posters should make their point clear when discussing only the latter.

A37575
It was never implied that lowering the nose only a few degrees from an extremely high angle of attack (as you appear to state) to a still stalled angle of attack was sufficient to recover from a stall.
I might have a language barrier there, but here is the original wording, bolding by me.

Quote:
centaurus
From simulator experience it takes very little nose down attitude below the horizon before it is obvious you are out of the stall and the next thing is to decide when to level out.
That is true as a stall avoidance maneuver or a stall with very little higher AOA (just after stall warning sounded), but not to recover from a developped stall.

Most students were good at approach to stall recoveries, because they choose to initiate recovery the earliest moment possible (which they are supposed to do, military jet) with an automated response stick forward, firewall the engines, stick back), but when they had to wait a bit longer they lowered the nose not long enough, pulled back on the stick too early and went into a secondary stall. All at safe altitude, so no danger.

There is only one way to do it when sufficient altitude is available, lower the nose not a little bit, lower it not to a specified amount of degrees below the horizon, but lower it until stall warning ceases = AOA below stall warning AOA (hopefully not like AF447) and speed has been built up enough for recovery maneuver. That is the point im trying to make.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 6th Oct 2014 at 22:46.