PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New PPL Examinations Paper Release
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2014, 09:26
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most FAA orals last less than 10-15 minutes now with the same questions asked to every candidate.

If you think the FAA system is better you clearly up to date with the current reality of the system in use.
Don't talk sh1te. Mine ranged from 3.5 - 6 hours each for CPL/IR/CFI/II, and I know others in more recent times which are still taking a lot longer than 10-15 minutes. I did make a point of going to a decent outfit though, and not somewhere I knew I could have crap piloting skills and lack of knowledge and scrape through, simply by paying money - like most of the places in Europe that teach button-pushing airline crews, and not single pilot operating skills.

What I will say, is that if you learn at a flight school with its own DPE's, then it is likely the instructors there will know what/how the DPE's like to test, and enure the student is up to scratch. For example, they know that a particular DPE likes to discuss altimetry and density altitudes etc, so they ensure the student is up to speed on this particular subject. Obviously, the student must be able to answer any questions on the day, but if the DPE tests thoroughly, with relevant questions, and the students have a good grasp of these "more likely to be tested" aspects, then it's no bad thing. I don't think it's cheating either.

Obviously, it can be abused by the folks BigGrecian talks about, but I would suggest that such abuse is not as mainstream as he suggests.