PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teesside Controllers
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2003, 06:12
duir

Am based at Teeside (PPL) and I particularly like the airfield. Its easy for the folks just starting out yet it is still international and has heavy metal popping in and out. The airspace is class D and is not as much work as LBA. However I have recently had some poor ATC whilst completing my IMC rating. Once they left me in the hold for over 10 orbits while military traffic were given priority.
On another occasion during and procedural NDB DME the controller sent me 12 miles away then asked me to go VFR to Scotch Corner (whats the point of that then? I can do VFR in my sleep!). To add insult to injury he then told me that I had missed the Localiser, on an NDB DME approach.
At that point my instructor informed him we were just following instructions...10 second break followed by new Adult controller replacing the YTS boy and subsequent approach was totally slick and Proffesional. I know people have to start somewhere but when its costing over £100 per hour its a bit frustrating!
Conclusion- You will be fine with Teeside its easy to locate( just look for the chimneys of the Green factory Smokey Joes at the end of 23)ATC is mostly Very Good and its a top notch airfield to
visit.
Finally enjoy your Qualifying flight it's a truly great achievment.
Good Luck.