PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How likely is a job with an airline going to be, if I already have the license?
Old 5th Oct 2014, 20:35
pudoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also - no offense mate - but speaking as a flight instructor with a few years experience, FSX and computer flight sims in general are a hindrance rather than a help. It will ultimately cost you money because it will take you a long time to unlearn all the rubbish you've learned in the sim and learn the correct visual attitudes for controlling the aircraft.
Whilst I'm sure you are speaking from experience. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. I was an avid flight simmer as a teenager and have a very good training record. Finishing every course I did in minimum hours and ready to test before that. I'm sure it's because I was so strict on myself on flight sim.

Practicing for a PPL isn't so hard, the manoeuvres I can agree with. But navigation and learning to maintain attitude with a horizon is easily done on flight sim with the right software add ons. My instructor said I was ready to test at 35 hours of my PPL. I probably did take practicing on flight sim a bit seriously by plotting routes on a half mil chart and writing plogs. But it did wonders for my career.

I agree with above posters, I wouldn't mention FSX to an airline or flight school.

Last edited by pudoc; 5th Oct 2014 at 20:45.