PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft Costs Schedule 5 v.s. Manufacturer Maintenance Schedules etc.
Old 5th Oct 2014, 07:44
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of a matter of interest how many of you out there have had a problem in flight that was cause due to a maintence mistake
The majority of in-flight problems I've had were caused by maintenance mistakes, usually manifesting themselves during the flight immediately after the 100 hourly/annual.

Engine probes left disconnected ... tools left in the engine compartment and under the cabin carpet ... access panel missing ... spongy brakes ... circuit breakers pulled (my mistake to miss it on pre-flight, but the aircraft shouldn't leave the hangar that way) ... magneto 2 degrees too far advanced ...

I could go on.

It's what happens when humans fiddle with complicated machinery.

That's why I dread the post-annual test flight.

And of course with the advent of engine monitors and pilot education on proper engine management, pilots started to notice how many injectors ended up partially clogged as a consequence of "cleaning".
Walter is not an engineer. Walter is a PILOT. Walter may be a good pilot that dose not make him an engineer. He may know about engine but dose not make him an expert.

He proved this by running an engine with 0/80.
Yes, and while you and your ilk were wailing and gnashing your teeth and consulting the holy maintenance manual and making sacrifices to the cylinder god, the engine was run and flown normally, with engine monitor data to show the engine was running normally on all cylinders. Folklore v facts.
As I said. How can you show on an engine monitor that the injector nozzle is blocked at the air inlet ?????
It's not hard, but it does require an objective mind and a willingess and capacity to learn, by reference to the laws of physics and hard data.