PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2014, 01:34
Danny42C

Thanks to all my wellwishers !

phil9560, (#6273)

Only that I firmly intend to live for ever ! (Guinness helps, too). Good genes, I suppose.....D.

Typhoon93, (#6274)

No idea ! (No G meters in Spitfires). Reckoned to be 4 or 5G (and that was a guess, I think). The Spitfire two-tier rudder stirrups were designed to delay the onset (as your raised thighs would help a bit), and you clenched in your tummy muscles, but that was about all you could do.

I think I speak for many: with your Callsign, and aged 21 , are you perchance one of our Young Tigers ? .......D.

Fantom Zorbin, (#6276)

Thank you , Sir !..................D.

Ian BB, (#6277)

I'm honoured and grateful by your kind remarks, Sir (your Father would have been proud of you). You are not intruding here ! - you speak with his voice, and all of his generation deserve to be listened to, for the survivors will not be around for long.

Yet you must always remember, that we were (in the words of the D. Tel. obituarist): "Ordinary men who did extraordinary things" - to which I would add "in extraordinary times". We were not "special" in any way, it's just that we were on watch when it all happened.

The tragedy of the Vultee Vengeance was that the RAF didn't want them, regretted having bought the things, and pooh-pooed them even when they demonstrated what they really could do (the USAAC was no better, they refused even to try theirs operationally (even with the example of the successful Stuka full in their faces !). The American Commanding General on the New Guinea front ordered the Australian VVs to discontinue operations just as they were getting into their stride. The US Navy had admittedly, worked with the idea (which is particularly suited to Naval warfare), but even so seem to have developed a total amnesia (together with the US public generally) about their SBD Douglas "Dauntless".

This after Midway, where one squadron reduced the pride of the Japanese fleet to a blazing, useless ruin in (by one account), seven and a half minutes ! (A more sober estimate was 20 mins - one Lt/Cdr accounted for one of the four fleet carriers on his own, his pilots put paid to two more); the fourth "Hiryu" got away but was caught and crippled next day. (The Japanese sank all their burnt-out hulks with torpedoes from a submarine).

Pearl Harbor was avenged (this had been the battle group which had carried out that attack); America was freed from the possibility of any assault on the West Coast; the back of Japanese Naval Air power in the Pacific was broken irretrievably (- the US yards could outbuild them three to one).

If the US ever had a Battle of America, this was it. And now they've forgotten all about it......D. (Sic transit gloria mundi.)

Nkosi, (#6278)

So, it's the direct equivalent of "Sahib" (suspected as much !). Your: "The diary was written in beautiful copperplate style of penmanship - and he was a private with limited education" mirrors my own experience with my father. He'd only had an Army "brat"'s education at a Victorian Army school in India, but his handwriting put mine to shame ! .......Burra Sahib.

MPN11, (#6279)

Once more, I'm at a loss for words to express my gratification with all the nice things spoken about me. Thank you, Sir, and please convey my thanks to the "Old and Bold", some of whom have personal memory of me (and I hope I've not inadvertently libelled them !)

MBE ? As my old Dad used to say: "When Nelson gets his eye back !" Area Radar ? (let's agree to differ !). Certainly I'll come in from time, in full Victor Meldrew mode, to keep you lot in order.......D.

ValMORNA, (#6283)

Burra Peg, if you don't mind, Sir. And yes, Glenmorangie will do just fine.......D.

gzornenplatz, (#6285)

Your: "There must be more. Please". Thanks - but only from time to time. Btw, I'm still curious about "gzornen" - what does it mean ?.......D.

PeregrineW, (#6286)

You have the "Second Sight", Sir ! Paint will have a mention in the "Addendum" I mentioned a Post or so again. But C&E is far in the future - and you never know. And thanks for the kind words.......D.

Witn kind regards and my renewed thanks to you all, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 5th Oct 2014 at 19:59. Reason: Typo. Intrusive repetition removed.