PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About time - Air Services
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2014, 00:08
Frank Arouet

Location: dans un cercle dont le centre est eveywhere et circumfernce n'est nulle part
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most airports in Australia were built and paid for at the taxpayers expense. Therefor we own them. Now given this, the maintenance of them was paid from public revenue and then air nav charges, which morphed into a fuel tax, which morphed into a free for all, and now somehow are owned by either private enterprise or the local Rate payers after they were pinched from us. Now something that I once owned is now subject to a tax to use them so I can buy fuel that used to pay for the airport maintenance, but now makes a profit for somebody.
Not to be outdone the number of aircraft that were around in 1965 that haven't really increased today and probably flying less hours because of over prescriptive regulation, and using these airports, are blessed with a controlling requirement brought about by a redefinition of the same air I used to fly through back then and I have to pay for now. Where was I, Oh yes, It would therefor appear the problem is the bloke with the bag who collects the tax. Now if you need the control aspects, you should pay the costs. If you don't need them, then you shouldn't be made to pay.
Unless the airport was paid for by private funding it should be seen, (as The Cargo Cult in PNG), as an encouragement to land and spend money in the town via fuel, taxi, motel, food etc. Toll gates at border crossings are illegal I believe.
I would advise avoiding these places. Your money is just as good up the road. The bloke running the control tower should send his own bills out seeing as he knows who he is talking to.

Last edited by Frank Arouet; 5th Oct 2014 at 00:10. Reason: Any one seen Terry?