PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft Costs Schedule 5 v.s. Manufacturer Maintenance Schedules etc.
Old 4th Oct 2014, 21:48
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creamie, your[sic] joking...right?
No, I'm not.
Unfortunately it appears you have not been present when someone has
Removed injectors for cleaning, ...
Yes I have been.
...as I can tell you, it is quite necessary, ...
I didn't ask you to tell me your opinion. I asked for things called "facts". That's why I said:
I'm interested in knowing what contaminants, precisely, build up where, precisely, on injectors on piston engines. What gets cleaned when injectors are removed and cleaned?
Just facts please.
Continental are 300hrs or periodically,
GAMI say 100-200 hrs for cleaning.
Don't you comprehend the patent nonsense in one organisation saying it's OK to run a component for 300 hours without cleaning, and another organisation saying 100-200 hours for cleaning, when both components are used in exactly the same operational circumstances?
And please cut it out with the old " doing it for $$, or creating work bulls#€T,
I didn't say that. Please revisit your highschool comprehension texts.
Next time I remove some injectors I promise, I will take some pictures and
Send to you.
Right on cue....
Some engineers may produce scary pictures of dirty solvent after injectors have been removed and 'cleaned'. The dirty stuff comes almost entirely from the outside of the injector. An engine monitor and knowing how to use it will tell you if you have a partially or completely blocked injector.
I realise that people in Australia are willing captives of thousands of pages of regulations. (And BTW: You don't have to quote them at me. I know them off by heart.)

What I was trying to ascertain is whether anyone has any idea about the physical reality of how a component works and where the 'dirt' comes from, or are merely trained monkeys who just go through the rote-learned motions.

Take a deep breath, put down the banana, and try providing some facts.

Go over to Beechtalk and read about how a real aviation country with a real GA fleet deals with these manufacturers' periodic arseplucks. A couple of quotes.

The first from Walter Atkinson:
I've run a few engines to TBO without EVER cleaning the injectors. Clean them only if the GAMI spread indicates a change, then I might ONLY clean the one that's showing a problem. Remember, all of these recommendations to clean them annually came long before we had engine monitors. Once we had engine monitors, we could see that cleaning them was the most common problem and that they really got cleaned every time you ran avgas through them.
"... Once we had engine monitors, we could see that cleaning them was the most common problem".

".... I've run a few engines to TBO without EVER cleaning the injectors."

One from John-Paul Townsend from GAMI:
My personal opinion is that the avgas is one of the better cleaners and more people get clogged nozzles as a result of the removal and reinstallation process than through normal usage. It is also my opinion that if you have a multiprobe engine monitor you can tell whether you have a situation that requires a nozzle cleaning. If you don't need to be cleaned . . . don't.
..."[M]ore people get clogged nozzles as a result of the removal and reinstallation process than through normal usage."

Periodic injector removal for cleaning is an example, par exellance, of the Waddington Effect. If you can't or won't see it, you are part of the problem.