PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch in turbulence
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2014, 15:51
Count of Monte Bisto

Received 349 Likes on 114 Posts
macdo, Three Lions, mudcity - we are probably all still barking up the same tree. I think we all know that the 'glory days' are gone. However, my best guess is that there are way more airline jobs available now than were the case in the past in the UK. Also, many of those are jet jobs and not turboprops. I am not sure I agree with the oft-stated view that this is a 'race to the bottom', but I loved the bit about the 'yellow jersey wearers'! There are certainly pressures on terms and conditions that did not exist in the past, but offsetting that the airline industry is open to many more people now than it has been in the past. No one wants casualties like this, but my best guess is that the overwhelming majority of Monarch outcasts will have jobs somewhere very quickly - many of them being good ones too. The Monarch guys enjoy a reputation for professionalism and that will do them no harm as the vultures circle to pick up pilots. A lot of companies are attracted by the idea of ready-made Airbus pilots just dropping from heaven - I am not sure, however, that the job offers will all be in places that people want to be.