PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Washout at Aerofair
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2003, 02:05
Hilico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the weather wasn't great, but...

It was an excellent business opportunity. I visited every day and went round all the stands. A wonderful chance to make contact with a large proportion of the UK industry, including T'aint Natural himself (just about the first chap I came across) and Dantruck, obviously tiring of the rigours of Spanish living.

It didn't matter whether the people I spoke to were potential customers or not; it simply isn't possible to know too much about the industry, and they were all willing to talk.

From the fun point of view, the best stand was easily Frasca's, with a virtual Seminole set up for practising your twin rating. I've never flown anything bigger than a 172, but I still managed to get it round the circuit. It was just a bit alarming on final when the 737 holding short was allowed to proceed. I looked up from a last scan and saw his beacon in front of my eyes. After only five minutes in the seat I emerged sweating and weak-kneed and asked 'who let the airliner go?!?' With the kind of smile you normally see on a Mako shark, the Frasca rep said 'I did!'.

But better even that that was going back the next morning and sitting next to Rudi Frasca himself while he did a beat-up of the field - barrel rolls seemed to figure quite heavily. I emerged from that trip feeling rather ill, but I'd do it again!