PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which FTO for best employment stats?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2014, 09:55
fwjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having had some limited involvement in an integrated FTO, I can promise you that self-discipline is definitely required and whilst the school may be strict, there's very good reason for it. I wouldn't be spending money at a "laid back" school.

I have seen students fail to turn up to class - this leads to course failure due to not making the minimum attendance requirements.
Students turning up late, or messing about in class, or falling asleep in class - firstly this leads to disruption for other students, secondly it means that the instructor has to waste more time trying to get the lagging students up to speed, so the more hardworking students are actually getting a reduced service. This does not make you popular, and won't look good on your school report which airlines can ask to see.
Turning up for flights late, unprepared, tired or hungover - you're wasting your own money and time on a flight that will not be as productive and useful, if you are even allowed to fly.

It's a huge amount of money that you are committing to pay for your training. Do you not think that it would be worthwhile to get your money's worth rather than messing about, screwing it up for other people and then having to spend extra money to make up for your own inadequacies.

This is all assuming that you have any kind of aptitude and attitude to become a professional pilot in the first place. Other comments on here about the initial assessment are true. The assessment is easy, whether or not you prepared. There are some who say that the main criteria is your ability to pay, although I won't comment on that right now. But the fact you hadn't prepared is indication of a less than appropriate attitude towards the whole process. This is a serious industry where your professional behaviour is key to the safe and efficient conduct of a flight. Have a think about that.