PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2014, 09:05
Nkosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nkosi and other things

Danny,

Nkosi was always used as a term of respect to an older, more knowledgeable, person. Certainly within our farm when the farm laborers addressed my father or grandfather. I have adopted the term in remember to them I suppose. I also think it was a Swahili term.

South Africa, and SAA, my first civilian job. I was employed as an Aviation Technicien and introduced to maintenance of modern, B727 and B737 aircraft. After a few years I gained licences to enable me to certify for work done on both types and the PW JT 8D engines so installed. I ended up as the visiting Station Engineer, releaving the resident engineer all over the routes flown by SAA with those aircraft types.

As an aside, my maternal grandfather was in a Lincoln Infantry Regiment and took part in the Boer War. But interestingly enough he wrote a detailed diary of his experiences and places where action was seen. The main theme of the diary was lack of good food, and Lord Kitchiner featured in his grumbles! The diary was written in beautiful copperplate style of penmanship - and he was a private with limited education.

Perhaps more later

Nkosi