PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I change flight school 37hrs into training?
Old 4th Oct 2014, 07:39
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I confess, I am confused.

With 37 hours in training a pilot2be should be ready to fly independent of any individual FI. In contrast, at this stage she or he should have encountered the difference of maybe three FI at least. For me, the insight that flying is YOU and every FI and pilot flies an own style should have come to mind.

I remember my first switch when I was starting to believe me stupid. At about 15-20 hours I was so hard struggling to flare (as everybody?) that my FI told me to switch instructor "to keep learning what piloting really is". In the end my mistake was to assume that there is a "right" way to fly and that this correctness would be connected to some kind of procedures (when I recall, this was due to my FI being an airliner and used to follow approach procedure - at 2 miles be 800ft high at 400 ft/min descent ... which may be ok for a 737, but definitely not the right way for a C172). I switched from that airliner friend to one of these old bushies, who hardly ever looks at instruments. He taught me to "fly by butt".

I had 7 FI switches until license and I have to admit - that was one of the greatest things to have all these different ways of flying. At one of the last of my frequent checkflights with FE to document the learning progress, he was talking into my flying and when I told him to shut up I had to concentrate, he had the biggest smile and said "now you are almost ready for exam". I repeat, flying is all about YOU and YOU alone, enjoy and nurture this feeling, even at training already.