PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL In Central Scotland in October/November??
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 18:47
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FullWings,

Some things may have changed a little since you were doing your CPL in Scotland......

Only Prestwick has a cross-wind runway.

And the weather?

Well, this time of year we always get the tail-end of the hurricanes from Florida etc. So I would challenge your:

"Cloudbase and visibility are the two main problems with learning to fly and the western side of Scotland is normally OK with both, even during the winter. It can get pretty windy but that’s helped if you have a choice of runways."

To be frank - although we are grass and have three runways! - I would suggest that Fife (Glenrothes) with one runway, but on the better weather east, or Perth, with three runways and pretty cheap accommodation in the Skylodge, might be the best bets if the aim to i get the maximum flying in in Oct Nov.

Yes, there may be seven daylight hours in the day. But in my experience if you try and fly more than two a day your brain gets fried! And you really want a little time between lessons to let it all sink in.

Just my tuppence worth!

ps. Intensive ground school? Ha! Just go to pirate bay and your gets the exam papers! (or else learn the subject properly, in tandem with lessons).