PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Indian DGCA syllabus outlined
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 18:00
Mentat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with CaptJNS. I learnt how to fly in Canada, where there was more stress on flying skills than bookish knowledge. I came back to India and had to fly here for my currency requirements. The instructor did not even know the stalling speed of his aircraft. The flight tests here are a joke, they are more of a 'turn left, turn right, climb, descend, land' thing.

In one school, the CFI was the certified examiner on a PA34 but was actually still learning to fly it. The hours were logged on some other students name. So much for DGCA oversight. There is rampant overlogging and everyone seems to meet the 'standards' at exactly 200 hrs.

The DGCA exams are much tougher than the ones I had to take in Canada, but that is because they are extremely impractical. They test more math skills than actual flying skills.There is no planning involved, no aerodynamics etc.

We have a lot of ground to cover when it comes to flight training.

That being said, Indians if given the same facilities as Canada, US, Aus etc turn out to be excellent pilots, better than most locals, a fact acknowledged by my TC examiner. I dont know how the older generation of Indian pilots is so good, maybe training was better then, but now, the lesser said the better.