PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 12:36
groundfloor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitch Versus Roll inputs.

I fly 319/320 s and have a couple of years on 340 s. During manual flight whilst Pilot not flying I've noticed some pilots inducing roll whilst intending to pitch the aircraft and vice versa. Why?

I started checking their control inputs during the control checks on the ground and every time their roll inputs also induced pitch inputs ie ailerons full left and there would be some up elevator, ailerons full right and there would be some down elevator. Once I brought it to their attention and they adjusted their hand wrist positions and tried again (calibrated their senses) so that they could make "pure pitch" and "pure roll" inputs things went a lot better during manual flight.

It would be interesting to see what the flying pilots last manually flown approaches looked like in respect of pitch and roll inputs.

For non Airbus pilots - your seat armrest position is critical so that your inputs are correct, if the armrest is forgotten up accurate inputs to the side stick are virtually impossible as you are making inputs with your arm instead of your wrist. If the armrest is down but not setup for you then it's really hard as well.

Last edited by groundfloor; 3rd Oct 2014 at 12:51. Reason: Grammar, sigh.