PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training Bond
Thread: Training Bond
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 08:54
nowherespecial

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
P&A,

I understand the argument but I just don't think it holds much water. The global market place means that pilots are a tradeable commodity for companies and licenses are going more and more global too.

If I give you something for free (ie at no $ cost to you) and you are able to leave for more money elsewhere, you'd be a fool not to leave.

I'll give you an example close to my heart:

Global operator looks at ex mil pilots: lots of twin hours, quite a few offshore, atpl (H) frozen or CPL (H) and IR on something nice like a 206 or even a Dauphin. Tick, very good please come in and have a free type rating on a 139 (the world ticket right now, or so it seems). We'll pay for it but not bond you because you seem like a nice chap.

Pilot A says "thanks CHC/ Bond/ Bristow for my free training and £60k a year but if it's ok with you I'm going to work for Weststar instead for $200k tax free in Morocco" or wherever else they are starting up and offering top dollar.

I know which option I'd take if I was presented with a type rating and no bond. It's human nature. Trust has to work both ways. When you can't guarantee it, stick a contract in there instead. At least it's up front and transparent.

I'd love to live in a world where pilots (and employers) are loyal but it's business for both parties. If you and your employer can get away without them then all the very best. I don;t resent them, I just think it's good business sense.

To be fair to CHC Global (might as well fill in the blanks eh?), the new touring pay deal will mean a lot less moaning about the primary T&C (ie pay) and will do more to bring them in to line globally on $ compensation so I suspect churn in touring pilots will decline over the next 3 years anyway. Fair point though.