PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2003, 21:56
Raas767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did some thumbing through my old college text books. Not a very thorough search but I did not find anything warning about rudder reversal. When I was in Europe converting my ratings I do not recall being specifically warned about it either. I am not surprised that one of our chief pilots claimed ignorance. If anyone at the training acadamy or at the manufacturer knew then they certainly did not tell us. Other line pilots have said the same thing. Military pilots with engineering backrounds seam to be the exception.
Like I said, For the pilots to have moved the rudder as fast as the FDR suggest it would have been a super human feat. I still maintain that the rudder malfunctioned.

One more thing. Not that any pilot that I know spends anytime dancing on th rudder pedals, I do remember a post here a few months ago regarding something in the A300 manual. I think there was a PROCEDURE there to move the rudder back and forth in order to get the gear down if there was a malfunction. I am not positive about that but maybe someone that flies the jet could check it out.

One more thing. Not that any pilot that I know spends anytime dancing on th rudder pedals, I do remember a post here a few months ago regarding something in the A300 manual. I think there was a PROCEDURE there to move the rudder back and forth in order to get the gear down if there was a malfunction. I am not positive about that but maybe someone that flies the jet could check it out.