PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Rapid Depessurisation headset or speakers on?
Old 2nd Oct 2014, 10:55
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RICK777 hit the nail on the head.

In my present organisation guys come out of the SIM with a "touchy, feely" mentality where they will calmly:
- move the headset to around their neck;
- place the mask on and select "mask";
- return the headsets to ear positions;
- establish comms.

Whilst I have never had one I can only imagine in the worst case situation - explosive - I suspect getting the mask on could well see the headphones go flying.
As a discussion point about this during training I suggest always setting the loudspeaker volume to a high setting (assuming presently "off") and in a depressurisation select both "mask" and "speaker", that way comms will be established in any circumstances; if not required, when time permits, deselect "speaker".
I am told some SIM Instructors discuss this, some don't. Inconsistent.

Bubbers44

I'm sure your procedures acknowledge this, only mention as in my present organisation certain "poetry" has evolved in the Rapid Depressurisation Memory Items so that after the cabin is uncontrollable the PIC apparently states "emergency descent".
Discussing this with some new trainees I have seen them stop the Rapid Depressurisation checklist - start the Emergency Descent checklist - with the intention of returning to the final items of Rapid Depressurisation....assuming they remember and/or other distractions don't occur.

When discussed that the most important thing is (after cockpit crew oxy on of course) is pax oxy on....either through the auto system OR guarenteed by manual backup.... by completing the one checklist first BEFORE moving on to the Emergency Descent Memory Items - well I THINK they finally get it but I do sometimes wonder.