PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headset on, loudspeaker off or on?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2014, 10:02
9 points

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headset on, loudspeaker off or on?

For many years I have flown Airbus aircraft with the policy that when the headsets are put on the speakers are turned off.
I find the other pilots speaker actually makes it hard for me to hear through my headset, I believe this is due to wave interference or perhaps some other factor. In any case, whatever the cause I find that I have better interpretation of the coms with the speakers off when the headsets are on.

Recently I've been told that the Airbus manuals state that the speakers should be set on, 1 o'clock, during pre flight and then left on for the whole flight.

While I have seen the section that states that the speakers should be set on I don't believe they must be left on at all times. Why would there be an off position if it were not to be used? However I can't find anything in the manuals to support my point of view.

I'm aware of various arguments to support the case to leave them on but as I said I find this interferes with my understanding of ATC, not to mention the extra noise and resulting headache.

Can anyone provide me with a reference to support turning them off when headsets are on?