PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 1st Oct 2014, 20:15
Bts70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very impressive for the bird to achieve that. The usual glancing blow only to be minced by the prop was obviously side stepped.

At least the crew would have been aware of it, quite a bang for the smallest of birds never mind a beast like that.

Not quite a brown trouser moment as the cupola explosion whilst crewman in the bubble mind you!

Talking about South Wales strips where was it that a K bogged down and had to be dug out by engineers mid 90`s, props being vey close to the earth when slotted?

Another strip this time on the Plain saw another frame dug out using crash axes one night about 2010. Boring story but I think we assisted the job by transferring all the fuel into the STBD wing! did someone mention wing fatigue .......anyway, job done and achieved swiftly enabling a return to Lyneham within a few hours of arriving. We did forget to take the jacking handle (seat pole works wonders) and the MLG jack was at a 45 degree angle to the oleo but everything else was by the book.......the book being knowledge in the job and the limitations presented by environment and acceptance of risk by those I was lucky to be working with. The firemen looked on with furrowed brows at time, I hope they filled the hole in when we left.