PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Armed Forces Pay Review Body 2015
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2014, 14:52
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't forget many aircrew officers will also be caught out by the loss of 'Family Allowance'. A recent member of my team - Flt Lt PAS at top end of the pay scale, with 3 kids under 16 lost iro £2k per year.
Me too; I earn over £60k so child benefit is taxed at 100%, but because of our frequent moves 'following the flag' and now to our present location, my wife cannot maintain a career (or even legally work here). However if I had left, and we both earned £49,999 (very possible for both of us), we'd still get Child benefit for both our our children, even with a gross income IRO £100K. Illogical.

When you factor in the massive reduction in LOA (my location dropped by £10K pa in April, although today the rate went up by about £1K pa), increase in overseas living costs, (negative) - impact on careers etc, no wonder the manning staff are struggling to find people to serve abroad. Best job I've had - no doubt about it - but it angers me that I effectively have to subsidise HMG's business abroad through swinging cuts in allowances, in spite of 'representative shopping baskets' locally increasing at c 10% pa.