PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2014, 13:20
Danny42C

Tutti Frutti.

Nkosi,

Thanks for your interesting tale, but I'm bowing out soon. Now you must have a host of wonderful stories under your belt - and this is the place to tell them. Come on in, the water's fine !

Your:
"I have now retired but do miss, from time to time, the world of aircraft that I was part of for 50 years".

It's alive and well, and it's here !

Now your Dad may well have been in the Arakan with me. We had the 81st (West African) Division out there, but I'm not sure about the East African. They may have been up North on the Imphal front. Any clues ?.....D.

FantomZorbin ,

Thanks, but "all good things must come to an end"....D.

26er ,

Wasn't that the one which contained the immortal words: "The Mighty Anson Bomber" (pronounced "Bahmber" which were quoted endlessly for years afterward in mockery - poor old Annie !

IIRC, the Attenborough character saved the day, but I can't remember how. The film was a naked plug for Navigators, a job sometimes regarded as a "consolation prize" for failed Pilots.

The "Fighting Lady" would be the "Lady Lex" - the US fleet carrier "Lexington". Not sure in which sea battle she went down fighting, but don't think Midway......D.

Reader123,

I think everyone in RAF training in WW2 was marched in to see it on "no see, no fly" days...D.

Xercules,

Very interesting ! Will have a good, hard look at this, unravel what I can, and reply further...D. (This has got out of sequence, should have gone to you before the last Post - sorry.....D)

Regards to all, Danny.