PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training Bond
Thread: Training Bond
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2014, 11:34
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an outsider, I think NOWHERE SPECIAL has cut to the heart of the matter.
The employer is being asked to financeyourcareer and personal "saleability" in the job-market.

A bit of "grown up" thinking, instead of the "them V us" attitude redolent of cloth-caps and Red Robbo, would make you realise the initial investment and risk is allon the employer's tab.....he even assesses you for suitability, thus saving the unsuitable from going down an employment "blind-alley"

As a youth, I had a motorcycle license and it covered 3-wheelers. I duly traded the wet, cold sidecar outfit for a "plastic rat" shortly thereafter, I moved house and changed employers. After some weeks, the foreman enquired as to my driving license and indicated that a car-license would make me of greater value to the company.
I was allowed unpaid time off for lessons at my own expense. They lost the productivity of my area of the factory-floor, during that time.

After I passed the test, I earned much overtime thrashing a new estate -car or the works van, around the country.

Paid to learn the UK geography, paid to eat out at their expense, paid to learn how to handle various motors..
When I left that firm, I had a Company car, expense account, telephone paid for.....went to work in a suit and tie , no time-clock, no regular hours.

Employer got my loyalty, hard work and a new profit-centre for the business (mobile servicing)

Nearly 50 years later, I still benefit from that initial investment
It never occurred to me to think that *they* should finance my personal development.

It seems with the big money in the Rotary world, it's not prudent or viable to rely on integrity, trust and honour.
A bond to cover outstanding debt to an employer,is really little different from an apprenticeship or traineeship....low wages in return for their investment in training As "time-served" status approaches. the employees' skill-level rises and training costs drop. both parties win,