PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAMBRIDGE
Thread: CAMBRIDGE
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2014, 20:15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ownership of the airport puts it in a different position to others; the family owning it have a large engineering works based there and have been strongly resisting LA efforts to move the business to an alternative airfield outside Cambridge and zone the land for housing.

However if that ever changes then I expect Cambridge will head down the same route as Sheffield, Plymouth, Manston, Blackpool and doubtless others to follow.

I strongly believe that the number of people travelling to Cambridge means that it can support a successful service to Amsterdam. But it needs to run at sensible times, be advertised, and have through ticketing arrangements in place. Over the past few months I've repeatedly wanted to fly from Cambridge via Amsterdam, but never been able to because the timetable was just silly.

Perhaps only KLM could manage such a service; and as they manged to operate to even Manston I'm sure they could if they wanted to. However with Norwich being so close by I doubt they will come across such a desire.