PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Joy in Zurich
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2003, 16:55
N380UA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots flying into ZRH, ATCO's et-al
A note from an ex-flight type working the grounds nowadays.

We're all to aware of the situations generated by politicians in Switzerland as well as in Germany. From your local wannabe Kennedy to the national John Hancock, everybody got their two cents to give to the mess; proving Al-Gorge bin Bush that even old Europe has a well running democracy!

1. I don’t work for SkyGuide but am certain that there is no preferential services given to anyone in the air as on the ground with perhaps the only exception being Air force one.

2. Phraseology on the ground ought to be the same as in the air as Apron contr. has received he same training together all other ATCO's (sorry Herr Klink).

3. VOR DME 28 with visual circling on 14 and 16 LH and RH as well as visual charted 34 are currently being proven and flight tested in particular for heavy A/C who are unable to land on 28 when i.e. contaminated.

The heroic trial of the CLX 28 swing on 32 is most likely to be implemented. I had the fortune to try it my self on a MD11 sim and I must say it was rather exiting to say the least.

The problems in finding some smart way to fly in and out of ZRH are not of a technical nature but as it was mentioned before, political. Our capabilities are therefore limited. (try to explain a politician all Pans-ops, ICAO, JAR, FAR FOMs in a nutshell in a 2 hour timeframe!!)

Ya'll rest assured that we do all we can in our powers to provide the best services that politics allows us to.