PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus aurtobrake "decel" call
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2014, 04:34
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
“So PF just sits there fat dumb and happy as the aircraft goes off the runway?”

No, I suspect the pilot sits there fat dumb and happy in the early stages of the landing roll assuming the auto brake kicks in and by the time he realizes it isn’t going to, he presses the pedals to the floor at a point that is too late to prevent the over run.

“I put it to you that ANY excursion is serious and potentially life threatening and not as you put it in rather a blasé and cavalier 'no major carnage'.”

I agree, I am not sure how you deduce that I am “blasé” and “cavalier”; perhaps my sense of humor or lack thereof can be blamed. Over runs are often fatal.

“How does PF defend such shortcomings? 'Sorry for letting the aircraft go off the runway, but PNF didn't say I should brake so I didn't!'”

No, I suspect that’s not how it would unfold at all however that’s why we have support calls. The same argument could be made about every pilot transgression. An altitude bust for example. “I flew right through the level because blogs didn’t call one to go”.

“Pilot who is looking out to keep it straight but cannot judge his decelaration, does not notice the change in runway light colour towards the end should not be in the cockpit.”

Perhaps you are right although I have never been in a possible over run situation so I am not going make such an accusation however it should be noted that many runway lights don’t change color and heavy rain in such a situation could make it difficult to accurately judge.

Guys, I was simply asking a question to survey what other operators of Airbus aircraft do. I have never left the pavement in a jet and have never overlooked the selection of auto brake.

BUT it has happened several times at least so its something worth considering.

That’s all.