PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Flying Dung
Thread: Low Flying Dung
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2014, 22:35
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat Bush is approx 6nm from Auckland and almost under the approach path for 23L/R. An aircraft performing a normal approach would be about 2,000 above Flat Bush, travelling at what - say 170 kts or so? And Karen Bass is suggesting that an airliner has liquified the contents of it's foul storage tanks, removed the "blue" and then dumped it whilst on approach to Auckland.

Now I'll not argue that it smelt human or that it even was, but I do not know of an aircraft that mashes the stuff up, removes the blue and the dumps the result. Also, hurling liquid fecal matter into the airstream at 170kts from 2,000' would give a wider dispersion than what we see here. And was 23L/R in use that evening? Looking at the METARS, they suggest 05 might have been in use.

I'll not say it never happened but stories like this have not routinely appeared in the rest of the world. Furthermore, I truly wish I had the ability to drop the stuff but there is no such system fitted to any aircraft I've flown. The controls for dumping are external.

I think Ms. Bush has to look elsewhere for the source because I am convinced it was not an aircraft. It's just a shame that this story was not properly researched before it got to print. Unfortunately, she is probably under the illusion that it has to be an airliner and because it fits her mental model, therefore she must be right and will waste her time looking in the wrong direction. What a shame.

PM