PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue hiring
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2014, 20:42
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedjet,
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I took a $30k pay cut to change jobs from my previous employer, but it was completely calculated.

Working for a narcissistic management was wearing thin, and the lifestyle of a regional gig had diminished over successive EBA's to the point it wasn't worth it any more. In short, the remuneration package, combined with a toxic management no longer met my expectations, and I intended to leave anyway.

It just so happened that VAA was hiring at the time I was looking for another job, and it was only through the persistent nagging of former workmates who had moved to VAA that I actually applied for the job there. I never expected an interview, let alone a job offer.

I was quite concerned about the pay cut (but had budgeted for it) as well as being thrown outside my comfort zone after almost 15 years in the old job. I was mainly after lifestyle, which I get here, but I could easily make up the cash shortfall by working some of the additional days off (3 plus 4) that I get in the new job if I really needed to. A type change 2 years ago put me $30k in front of what I was earning in my old job.

The only thing that I miss about the old job is the crew I used to work with, and the type of flying we did.

I was eligible for an ERJ command in Perth about 3 years ago, but chose not to bid for it. That would have been 3 years in the company. In the previous job it took 6 or more years.

Yes, I still believe (more so) that I made the right choice. In this job I have more choices 😀