PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting UK military instructor rating to EASA - new terms
Old 29th Sep 2014, 19:38
ACW599

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ACW599, to what level of accreditation do you think Air Cadet gliding instructors should actually be entitled?

I'm not sure that "entitled" is quite the word I'd use. But in principle there should clearly be some credit for VGS experience. In fact I'd argue that a Vigilant VGS instructor is doing a job that's closer to that of a civilian FI than most RAF QFIs except those involved in EFT on the Tutor. That said, it is of course accepted that some QGIs would need to undertake a degree of training to add those elements of the EASA SEP or TMG syllabus which are not in the VGS syllabus (e.g. slow flight, instrument appreciation) to their skill set and prepare them for an AoC in the usual way.

For the removal of an FI restriction the requirement is for 100hr instruction and 25 "supervised" solos. There is no additional test or assessment. If Vigilant QGIs have civil licences with SEP and/or TMG ratings and pass an FI AoC it seems perfectly reasonable to argue that they should be awarded FI(R) or FI on the basis of whether or not they meet these criteria as a result of VGS flying, just as with QFIs and QHIs. I would imagine that the vast majority of Vigilant VGS A2s and many B1s more than meet the criteria for FI.

Last edited by ACW599; 29th Sep 2014 at 22:35. Reason: hopefully improving clarity.