PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2003, 11:56
Raas767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not been following the investigation of 587. Nor have I read all the threads speculating on one thing or another. I am not an engineer, nor did I fly in the military. I have, however, flown commercial jets for 11 years, turboprops before that and spent a few years instructing before that.
Never in my training or in any aircraft manual that I can recall did it mention any warning concerning rudder reversal. On the contrary, everything I have read says that bellow Va FULL use of flight control is permitted without overstressing the airframe. AFTER 587 we received all kinds of training and warnings about prudent use of rudder. That being said, perhaps the manufacturer never imagined a pilot using the rudder so aggressively. I certainly never would in a wake encounter and I doubt First Officer Molin did either. As a matter of fact the last thing I read about the speed of the rudder deflection would make it physically impossible for him to even move the rudder that fast. Coupled with the history of uncontrolled rudder movement on the A300 on two previous occasions involving AA aircraft alone I would suggest caution before we nail these two gentleman to the proverbial wall. I had the previlage of flying with both of them on separate occasions on the 727 and found them to be very competent aviators.