PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I change flight school 37hrs into training?
Old 29th Sep 2014, 18:27
Grob Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure having lots of different instructors would suit me as I like the personnel touch and I'm sure each instructor have there own way of teaching studes? So maybe this might not help? I don't know?

Hey best of luck with it all :-) my hat is off to you for dedication and determination
Thanks Wingman, well, determination is certainly what I have (need...) in bucketloads and resolve to get the damned licence whatever stands in my way (and there has been a lot).

As to nmerous FIs. I was like you, for three years, I stuck to one, as hes a great friend and as you say, each FI has a different way of teaching. I used a couple of others (one of whom is a friend now as well) and although they were good, it just wasn't the same. Then, after some badgering from my FI and the folks over on the other forum I decided to have a secondary FI. This has really worked as I now (funny old thing) can quite often either have two trips a week or at least when FI number 1 is not around then FI number 2 usually is (atlhtough it hasn't worked like that this month).

I understand totally your issues about different teaching methods, they do, everyone is different and perhaps are picky on different things. For instance FI number 2 really wants me to hit the numbers every time I land, whereas FI number 1 is pernickity to the point of OCD on keeping the compass on teh horizon, whereas FIs 2 and 3 are not... FI number 3 has a slightly different nav technique but its very helpful as its easier! But at 150 odd hours in, its not that much of an issue, in fact I now try a mixture of all three when i fly. For you, it may help too, as a different person may be able to pick up on something your usual chap hasn't noticed as its familiarity between you two. Also as I have become good friends with FI number one, its like two mates going flying whereas, although FI no 2 and I are becoming friends, I suppose I ..ahem...concentrate more! Mind you, ts got to the stage now where a lot of the time I don't need an FI in teh cockpit,a s I need to get solo hours in and solo confidence up!

Then enter FI number three. He is a good friend who I have known for years. An ex-RAF pilot, he also happens to be a Civvy FI. I asked him as a favour to fly with me to boost my confidence...he did, and yer know what....it worked! he and I flew my QXC route and the confidence boost was huge. Then he gave me the final kick via email to get up there and fly my QXC solo. The weekend after that email, I did it. So, I know having a good friend go flying with you to put you straight or give a confidence boost is not usual, but my point is, maybe TRY flying with someone else. Believe me, I didn't want to and put off flying with someone else regularly for years. Now I only wish I had done it sooner!

HOPe this helps, good luck, and PM me if you want to chat. I'll try and drop by this site more often......

Happy landings

Ps, how close is Bath to Brize? hmm, Wilts/Oxon.... Probably not doable for you, but it was just a thought, they have a Flying Club and i am in contact with their CFI if you were interested.

Last edited by Grob Queen; 29th Sep 2014 at 18:38.