PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training Bond
Thread: Training Bond
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2014, 13:26
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not a job guarantee, it is indentured servitude.

LOWFAT: I agree completely, if you sign it honor it (both sides of course). For myself, I don't need a piece of paper for that. I also expect integrity to come from the other side of the table as well.

The first bond I flatly refused to sign was for a company I had already been working for, and they approached me about the endorsement. Even as young as I was, I saw the red flags and told them, verbally, I'd stay 2 years. Sure enough, once in the new job, they found ways to renege on the offered payscale, time off was non existent as the phone was constantly ringing to 'cover' a shift, and getting a taxi ride reimbursed meant camping out in the base manager's office! Even the a/c had no spares, but if you refused to accept it at shift start, big trouble, sad.

I left after less than a year. On the way out I explained why I felt I could not stay. Did they address the pay issues? No. A/C parts and serviceability? No. Staffing levels? No. They did threaten to send lawyers after me to collect on their bond. I had to remind them to check the file, I did not sign one.

Later, new company, we had a young pilot approach us, asking questions but not quite asking for work. After talking to him we discovered he had signed a bond the previous year, but his 'employer' had suffered a slowdown and had sent him home, no work (that is correct, no pay but not quite laid off). They had carefully reminded him that his 'bond' prevented him from seeking another job. We hired him, and sent our own lawyers to sort that issue!

Even recently, one of the [ahem] 'big' offshore operators decided to present us with a bond after the training for the Puma had already started (it was replacing the 61 on the base and all staff were moving over). "Oh, by the way, just sign this" ?!?! $80,000 bond! Utter lack of integrity. Didn't sign that either, didn't leave right away, but didn't sign!

Even now, my current employer (another name that is supposedly a pillar of the industry) feels that if I am sent away for a 76D conversion, not even an endorsement this one, that I am only entitled to 2/3 pay because it is really to my benefit. So this isn't a bond, just $7000 out of my pocket.

Bonds, as I have seen them, are either a crutch for an operation that lacks integrity or a reaction, in fear, to punish those that follow the guilty.

I'm sure I'll sign one some day, when it is presented by a company that is acting above board and with integrity, and when it is written with both parties in mind. I don't argue the enforceability, or lack thereof, because I, like you, feel that my signature is more than a little bit of ink, like my word is more than just a passing breath.