PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch in turbulence
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2014, 10:42
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 174 Likes on 67 Posts
It is perhaps regrettable that there is so much talk on this thread relating to EZY rather than MON although it is quite understandable.

Both are Luton based airlines with overlapping bases and fleet types. EZY are hiring and MON are shedding in possibly both seats. In recent years MON poached dozens of EZY pilots with the enticement of a permanent contract, a ten thousand pound pay rise and much better terms. The opinion being of many that this was not worth the risk of joining a small company with a big new plan means that there is plenty of interest in recent developments as they settle many a long debate with an answer.

It is of course highly regrettable when an airline enters difficulty and it helps no pilot if as a result pilot pay is reduced. That's a another benchmark lowered for us all.

As I mentioned previously there may be some DEC at EZY because there is little spare training capacity to manufacture command ready SFO's into Captains despite their being no shortage of command ready SFO's *so the RUMOURS go*. The fleet growth plans for the next five years will not all be absorbed by the EU bases so a left seat on British soil in the near future might well be possible and that might be of interest to somebody in MON at the moment.

I imagine such discussion is of more interest and more practical value than merely offering sympathy and encouragement.

The good thing is that there is movement this winter at lots of airlines in lots of places in the world. I was even looking at a contract in China yesterday that was offering £14,000 net a month in China on a narrow body Airbus...