PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WAAS in Australia
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2014, 22:52
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nose_Wheel
I think I get it.. For the GA guys and gals we are going to have to wait for multi frequency or dual channel gps which allows for multiple gps constellations to provide data to a single gps unit. This would mean a hardware change but essentially you would be receiving two gps feeds. Therefore the unit could do its own error correction.
No I don't think you're going to have to wait for new GPS units. It is my understanding that it's likely (though not guaranteed at this point) that SBAS will come to the South Western Pacific area i.e. Australia and New Zealand and surrounds within a year or three.

There's been plenty of obfuscation around SBAS. The installation costs have been wildly exaggerated.

There also seems to have been a reluctance from some quarters to advance the introduction of SBAS, why I'm not sure when it makes a lot of sense to have it. I suspect in some cases there might be ulterior motives. For one, the ANSP (Air Services or Airways) cannot charge for the use of the service unlike they could for a GBAS service.