PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Sep 2014, 20:23
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tales from the Hammock - A Tyresome Time

So there we were, The run up to GW1, an SF Flight Det, flying out of Minhad, wall to wall F16s and the sexiest beast on the base was Albert. On the day in question, we two GEs had decided to split the workload. The day's task was a trip down to a strip to meet the head honcho of the "hooligans", who had set up a camp nearby. This was before "Victor" was involved, and didn't look like it was a ball breaker of a day. My pal KM won the toss and got the day off. I should explain that the Det had been set up with engineering planning done by the mightiest brains of LYN Eng wing, what could go wrong? We had a spare mainwheel at Minhad, which was considered ample cover for the one month detachment. The crew was Captained by one C*** T*****y who was IMHO a class pilot.

Off we went, and landed on the required strip, as it turned out it was a shale strip, not sand, and was our first experience on that type of surface on that det. As our skipper held his meeting with Mr Hereford at the back of the shut down aircraft, I decided to have a "bimble" around the aircraft to see if the shale had inflicted any damage. As I walked past the RH MLG bay I heard a hissing noise. I lifted the door and stuck my head between the mainwheels, crikey, stereo hissing ? Sure enough, two mainwheels punctured and leaking nitrogen in a big way. I inform both the Eng and the Captain, who had a listen and decided a rapid departure for Minhad was in order. I managed to phone my fellow GE at the Hotel and get him heading to Minhad to prep to fix the snag.

On takeoff from the strip, it was obvious that the RH wheels were getting a bit "soft". The transit back to Minhad was around 30 minutes, and all were aware that the tyres could well be very deflated on arrival. On landing, the Captain made sure that the RH MLG was given the lightest of loads possible, and after taxying off the runway, the long taxy back to our dispersal was completed at high speed with considerable left aileron applied (we did the lot with the RH MLG off the ground) on arrival at our parking slot my mate KM was there with the spare mainwheels. Just like the well known "prick of steel", we now come to the tragic bit. Whilst providing our detachment with a spare mainwheel, LYN Eng failed to supply a suitable jack to facilitate our changing it. My mate had done his best and had borrowed a jack from one of the F16 squadrons. So, we decided that we would replace the rear RH (Punctured) mainwheel, and worry about the forward one once the aircraft was stable. Unfortunately the "blow out" valves in an F16 Jack function well below the weights encountered by the raising of even one bogey on Albert. You guessed it, we couldn't get the bloody flat tyre off the ground. We had a problem.

Some phoning around had elicited that a USAF C130 unit were within a 30 minute flight time of Minhad. They were, as always, amenable to assisting us in our plight. We devised a cunning plan. N2 bottles and a swift inflation of both wheels saw us safe, if hissing, to depart (I have to admit we inflated slightly over pressure). Our arrival at the destination had our Captain treating the RH gear with respect again, and taxying in to the designated bay saw us jacked up, as the engines were winding down. The "Yanks" were brilliant, and had us fixed in around 30 minutes. They fitted two of their wheels, we returned two days later and refitted our wheels with US tyres fitted. Whatever anyone says, the US Albert operators were always amenable in dire times.

I salute the planner who can foresee a requirement for replacing a wheel, and not see the requirement for the tools to do it. For the rest of that detachment both of us GEs rolled our eyes as we passed our spare mainwheel. An Eng Rep, informing the powers that be was sent, requesting a jack for the det, it was not forthcoming. The airmanship by the Captain that day was extremely impressive. His "sympathetic" ground handling of the aircraft ensured that the eventual remedy could be undertaken. It was a bit of a day for my mate KM too, he had to come to work. After having got the tyre problem sorted out we continued with the day's programmed tasks. Once again, a team effort ensured the job was done. I will never forget that fast taxy down Minhads taxyway though.

As usual I apologise for the long winded post, I'm sure if I could use less words I would, I "just weren't built like that though"!

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 28th Sep 2014 at 20:54.