PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3rd Country IR to Part-FCL C-bM IR(A)
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2014, 09:05
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
3rd Country IR to Part-FCL C-bM IR(A)

Last week, we discussed at the EASA FCL-IF how an IRE should conduct the 'assessment of knowledge' as part of the C-bM IR(A) Skill Test for conversion of 3rd Country IRs.

In the UK, IREs refer to Appendix 2b of Standards Document 1, so it behoves any applicant to take a good look at the document http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SARG_St...uly%202014.pdf before the Skill Test.

However, I note that one suggested question is:
What actions would you take on an asymmetric approach if the runway becomes obstructed after you have passed ACH/A?
Given that the CAA's own documents state:
On an asymmetric approach, once below ACH, a pilot is effectively committed to land.
, is this a reasonable question to ask a pilot under test?

Clearly it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question - where is the runway obstructed, how long was it since passing ACH, etc etc. Personally I'd be sorely tempted to say "Well, I'd be more concerned about avoiding the CAA asteroid which is no doubt just about to hit me as well...."

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say, but I think it's a stupid question. Fair enough to ask for the definition of ACH, but that's all, in my opinion.