PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2014, 03:54
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus Control technique

It appears that there are two types (at least) of control inputs being made on the stick by Airbus pilots.
One group applies pressure on the stick to create the desired aircraft response.
The other group makes short pulsing movements of the stick to make quick successive adjustments to the aircraft's flight path. (Sometimes called mayonnaise stirring.)

From my observations of the control motions following the autopilot drop out, Bonin was probably in this latter category.

Does anyone have an idea of how to get the control motions data immediately after AF447's takeoff when Bonin was also flying manually? This would help characterize his style of piloting.

Since I have never flown Airbus FBW, I'd appreciate comments from those that have regarding control techniques they prefer when flying the Airbus and if and when they switch techniques.

The control technique used seems to be relatively unimportant in Normal Law but has critical implications in Laws that involve direct motions of control surfaces such as Alt2b.