PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career as a ferry pilot where and how to start...
Old 26th Sep 2014, 19:01
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And a friend of mine ferrying a 150 with a ferry tank had a fuel problem in IMC spiralled down, broke cloud at 400 feet over the Atlantic above the only fishing ship in 200 miles.
They picked him up and made him work for his keep for a week before returning to base.
sadly the aircraft was lost but not the pilot.

How lucky was that?

don't knock the guy for wanting to do ferry work! It takes a certain personality to undertake this sort of work and IMO a lot of guts

I have ferried jets across the Atlantic both ways, never singles and have a lot of admiration for the poor guys/and gals battling along low level over such vast expanses of freezing ocean in SEP aircraft.

Yes you will need experience and crossings before the insurance will touch you.
Contact all the ferry companies you can and beg steal or borrow rides.

You may have to finance your own accommodation and return airfares but like any aviation from singles to jets its all about networking, people liking you and admiring your determination and enthusiasm and then wanting to help.

You will probably do better getting rides on more advanced singles or twins where weight is not so crucial.

Pace