PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's a licence worth?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2003, 01:13
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westwind,

You're right of course; there's a kind of general unspoken feeling among men, women, flying schools and the world in general that women can't, don't, won't, really actually fly. Not on PPRuNe I'm sure, so spare me the protests. Or, if they do, they're kind of eternal students; I was in a flying school the other day, having just dropped in for lunch, and someone asked me if I was learning to fly; no problem, but they always ask that, never "What do you fly?" or "Are you a pilot?". No folks, I'm not being over-sensititive; I gave up caring long ago. If I happen to mention I have a CPL and Instructors Rating they don't actually hear me; well I know from another life that it's well known by psychologists that you can't perceive anything which you believe to be impossible. But all that might explain some women's reluctance to learn to fly; it's hard to do something you're that sure is impossible.

However, for all of you planning on getting your wives to do the Safety Course, I suggest you save up first if you're paying for it; I know of several women who started their PPLs that way! Deep-rooted beliefs can change when we get our hands on the controls!