PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is farm strip flying good for you ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2014, 09:47
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model flying fields - ah yes, I once took the Yak 52 to one of those (by arrangement). Didn't land, but I gave them a memorable visit!

.....but also the tranquillity of remote strips, very often miles from traffic noise and other disturbance.
That reminds me how strips can be useful 'bolt holes'. Years ago I was scud running back to base and it was getting seriously dodgy under a lowering cloudbase and in heavy rain. I flashed over the rooftops of Stafford, all wet and shiny, the M6 with the cars with their headlights on, and up ahead the wx looked worse. What to do? I didn't fancy a 180 as the stuff I'd come though wasn't good. Up ahead was a strip; "that's for me"!

We landed, shut down, and slid the canopy back. Just the whining of the running down gyros, the tincking of the hot engine, the sound of birds singing, and a tractor working in a distant field.

I can still remember the peace and tranquility of that place, and the relief of being on terra firma after the pressures of being in the air when we really shouldn't have been.