PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPhone 6 Bentgate
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2014, 06:42
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 2005 model Sony Ericsson 3G flip phone as my primary phone. It was cutting edge technology with the biggest screen I could get, in 2005 (36 x 45mm screen).
It still works a treat and does everything I need to do, as regards making calls. It even does video calls (Wow!) and I can even stream videos to it, and take and send pics as well!

However, I pull it out and all the young 'uns gasp and go, "How OLD is your phone?? I've never seen a phone THAT OLD!!"

I've heard that thousands of Sony Ericsson flip phone users snapped theirs in half when they were too rough at flipping it open, so they wouldn't buy flip phones again.
They must have been pretty severe in their treatment of their phones - because mine has been dropped dozens of times, spends half its time in my workshop, gets covered in dust, grease and other assorted workshop grottiness - and it still performs perfectly.

Sadly, I'm going to have a get a "smartphone", it appears, because I'm missing out on so much with my caveman phone technology.
I guess one of the things I'm missing out on, is just how long it would take for a brand new $900 phone to bend, if I lean over something in the workshop, while it's still in my pocket.

I think many new smartphone manufacturers missed the message about "substance over style".