PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA now wants to control community flights what next
Old 26th Sep 2014, 05:23
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Essentially correct, tail wheel (post # 93), as I understand the ‘theoretical’ arrangements. However, having a board does not preclude the Minister from issuing broad direction as regards government expectation in respect of priorities and, by extension, the manner in which regulation is framed and its concomitant outcomes on industry. The Minister has the power to 'direct' in this manner, regardless of statutory-body status.

The press release is a chimera regarding where the buck stops and is an exercise in poor semantics. The Minister may feel some relief that the bureaucrats have given him a superficial out, but it's a mirage in respect of ultimate ministerial responsibility.

By implication (and taking the scenario to extremes), CASA could make a regulation that says left-handed pilots are dangerous and are now disendorsed. They are that free according to that sham of a press release. And, according to the release, the Minister would have no power to influence the decision. What utter rubbish!

As I said, the Minister is able to define government expectations. Those expectations may be of a strategic nature, and not down in the weeds, but cogent guidance from government in the form of a ‘letter of charter’ is within the Minister’s purview and an elected government’s right. Set the strategic direction, which is the elected government’s responsibility, and the paper-pushers are obliged to fall into line. If they don’t, the Minister is entirely within his rights to ‘kick ass and take names,’ regardless of whether he has a board between himself and the bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, the current incumbent, to me, has never come across as having the necessary spine to fulfil his obligations in respect of setting the broad agenda on behalf of the elected government. This is his second go, and he’s been as unimpressive as his first time around. He has the wherewithal to fix this mess, but he’s happy to hide behind the bureaucracy and be a ditherer. Truss = dither.

Enough of a rant from me, but the BS surrounding this issue just astounds.

I'd like to hear Sunny's opinion, and I'd also like to know where Dick stands on this one, despite our crossing swords in the past.