PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 23:49
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
Care to provide a summary for those that are a little reluctant to click/download random links?
<opens page in scratch VM for paranoia reasons, downloads file>

At the time I accessed it (not that I'm trying to make you more paranoid there, just covering all bases) it was a PDF file on a file sharing / dropbox type of site. The file seems ok, scans clean, simple PDF comprising scanned images of printed spiral-bound report - no PDF features that would need Adobe reader, so you can open it in something safer

Trouble with these docs are that they are scans of printed originals and either the scans, the original prints, or both, are poor quality. The appendices in particular may be second or third generation physical copies - printed or copied elsewhere, collated into physical report, photocopied again for distribution and then scanned, at a guess.

Summary of content - not dissimilar to the previous one. 200+ pages. In French, and with not many pictures...

I am torn as to whether the quickest and easiest approach would be:
a) to try attacking it with some professional rescan and OCR software, followed by google translate and then attempt to decipher the result - but I think it is going to be a waste of time
b) to (re)learn French properly

I have scan read the contents and parts of some interesting looking sections / pages, using my level of French, which 20+ yrs ago was "foreigner who has clearly put a bit of effort in but will need to be spoken to slowly in small words", and is now that plus "and has now forgotten a lot of it". I can still order food and wine and follow directions to the WC, i.e. the important stuff, but that doesn't help a lot here...

There looks to be some interesting stuff in there, comparing with other UAS incidents and interviewing some of those pilots (BEA report says other crews ignored SW believing them spurious - but frustratingly did not cover _why_ the crews believed that, this report might). Seems they have also done test flights (real not sim) and tried to recreate the scenario (up to a point), various FDR comparisons with test flight and 447 appear to be shown (quality of traces about as bad as you'd expect).

Most of the report is responding to questions, those posed by the court, by Airbus (I think), and by other parties (victims counsel ?). Fair amount on human factors and procedures and FCTM.

List of causes and conclusion around p140, not sure the list aligns with BEA exactly. Conclusion says (I think) that appropriate actions by crew would have avoided accident, that UAS and Stall procedures were perfectly adequate and would have avoided accident if either was executed correctly.

Hope that helps a bit.

Note: sidestick does not appear to be mentioned Also, looks like they asked pilots (maybe the test flight pilots?) about the controllability in ALT2B and conclude it should not have been an issue.