PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 19:29
Danny42C

"What's in a name - a Rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Chugalug,

Sadly, you're probably right. Yet we've got such a good thing going here, it would be such a shame if some way to continue its spirit could not be found after the last of us depart (we've not heard much of harrym recently - and I can't last for ever). Hopefully, we've still got chaps like Ian BB and others, who have access to their grand/father's log books and writings (in some cases, the old chap's still alive and able to contribute) and so keep the flag flying - but only for a limited time.

I suppose the real value of us old fossils is that we were there and can tell it exactly how it was (for I'm afraid the revisionist historians hover like vultures all the time). A good example is the Post to Ian BB about "Arnold" which I've just put in: it would seem that his source has implied (probably in all good faith) an explanation of the wastage scandal which simply doesn't hold water. But it fits so nicely that it would certainly pass as truth unless some old codger like me puts his oar in and says: "Hang on, I was there, it wasn't like that at all".

The reaction to "Pearl Harbor" was a story in itself. Their prized Pacific Fleet (or a large part of it) was on the bottom at "Battleship Row" (it was only by the Grace of God that their big Fleet Carriers were at sea, but the Japs didn't know that, or they might have lost some or all of them as well); they were at war with Japan whether they liked it or not; then Hitler seized his chance and declared War on them, too (that really put the cap on it !)

Their only solace was that now they had us as their Gallant Ally - but at that stage of the War, we were hard put to it trying to survive ourselves, never mind helping anybody else !

Danny.