PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPhone 6 Bentgate
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 19:26
Booglebox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've also had the misfortune to have had to use some of Sammy's products, Galaxy3, Note 3, Mega, and rarely will you find such a cheap rubbish product...
Absolutely right. Had a look at the new Galaxy S5 the other day, really horrible textured plastic, feels like Fisher Price baby's first phone (....more on that below though..)

Originally Posted by ExxB
Be Careful With It.
Good advice, but the problem is that these devices are designed to be actually used... in life. I refer you to KBPsen's post.
Here are some things I have (mostly accidentally) done with my phone in the past few months (I will leave you all to guess what make / model - it's a smartphone and a pretty cheap one).
  • Used it during heavy rain
  • Left it outside during a rainstorm
  • Dropped it out of a second story window onto cobblestones
  • Dropped it out of a moving car (that actually did leave a tiny dent)
  • Buried it in sand by treading on it while it was under a table on a beach
  • Had a baby simultaneously chew and slather baby food on it for an hour (with teeth) (great way to stop babies crying)
  • Opened a Tiger Moth fuel cap
  • Threw it against a wall several times (....not accidental)
I am aware that maybe this is an edge case and that it would be unreasonable to expect iPhones to tolerate this level of abuse, but... it remains good as new, and barely showing any damage. And if it does look damaged, the rear shell (which includes the sides) can be changed by the user in 3 seconds for the princely sum of 5 euros. And you can pick your own colour (I have soft-touch black).
However, in the interests of full disclosure, my sister has an identical one and managed to break the screen by sitting on it with it in her back trouser pocket

By the way Mixture, I think iPhones are actually excellent devices - sound quality in the latest ones is incredible (can instantly tell when talking to someone with an iPhone 5s as it's so clear), and the camera is absolutely fantastic. The latest iOS is also a big improvement. I am just talking about the total lack of hardware durability. If they made one that was less flimsy I would be seriously tempted. I did consider the 5C until a colleague dropped one on a wooden floor and seriously dented the plastic corner...
(similar case: I dropped my Thinkpad on a very hard wooden floor earlier this year, it took a chunk out of the floor and remains unharmed.... MBA would be toast)

Last edited by Booglebox; 25th Sep 2014 at 19:37.