PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 18:44
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
History - can we ever know the truth?

Danny

Thank for your last

That is simply untrue (in my experience in Carlstrom, and I do not think the succeeding RAF intakes were any different fom ours). All our "washouts" from 42C were flying-related, either for not being fit for solo at the 10 hr mark, or for subsequent gross breaches of flying discipline. AFAIK, not a single one of our 40% "wastages" was due to a ground disciplinary offence. That cock simply will not fight.

Since I first had the temerity to intrude on this fascinating thread (five months ago, page 276) I made the point that I was not there, and I can only research what has been written about the training programs (non sic)
that you and my late father experienced in sunny Florida. Your statement, above, is not what I read from my researches. Danny, I am absolutely in no way doubting your word (as an ex-officer and I am sure, still a gentleman) about your own experiences, but, I have the impression that you are tougher than most of your peers (after all you are one of the last men standing) and that the reasons for the elimination of many of your fellows may not have been obvious to you at the time, or indeed now, when you read the recorded interviews with others who were also there

With respect

Ian BB