PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 17:34
Danny42C

Wastages in the Arnold Scheme ( the plot thickens).

Ian BB,

Frankly Ian, no. That it may have said some bearing, I readily acknowledge. But the unspoken message here is: "These excessive losses were due to the RAF "Kay-dets" inability to assimilate the new culture, climate, military discipline, and different foods".

That is simply untrue (in my experience in Carlstrom, and I do not think the succeeding RAF intakes were any different fom ours). All our "washouts" from 42C were flying-related, either for not being fit for solo at the 10 hr mark, or for subsequent gross breaches of flying discipline. AFAIK, not a single one of our 40% "wastages" was due to a ground disciplinary offence. That cock simply will not fight.

Note that the month's "familiarisation" included no actual flying (the paltry total of 9 failures for the entire time is evidence of that - and it would be very hard to fail a Course that consisted of simply being lectured at for a month and (AFAIK) had no exam at the end.

They would arrive at Primary with zero hours (perhaps one in a thousand had a little previous flying experience): most of us had never been off the ground.

There is something else at work here. I suspect "creative accounting" (cooking the books !) And if there was this dramatic improvement from 42D onward, how do you account for the overall wastage of 3,392 (42 %) of the entire entry ? (this was higher than 42C's loss rate ! we had insignificant losses after Primary - but a few killed).

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 25th Sep 2014 at 17:36. Reason: Spacing.