PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA to TC License Conversion
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2014, 12:05
Ramjet555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eAs I understand it, your foreign experience and licence are accepted. The CPR exam gets you a commercial licence without a flight test.
Any foreign pilot is assumed to be ignorant of Canadian IFR rules that are not exactly a copy of ICAO, so, you need to do INRAT, USA pilots get a break because the systems are similar but a difference exam exists, even FAA pilots don't escape a ride.

Now, here is an alternative for you.

Get your FAA instrument Rating an ATPL, then use that as the basis of getting a Canadian.

I had an old Australian instructor, so went south, got the US CFI-II-ME and then used that to have a current ICAO instructor and then with the mandatory hours of instruction did the rides.

Now, you an only convert ONCE in One direction only.

Example, your Canadian IFR needs renewal so you do IPC for your US Instrument rating, no, that does not fly. Can't be done.

The advantage is that flight training in the US is cheaper than in Canada, especially simulator rates which you might need to brush up on local approaches that will be on the ride in either the US or Canada.

Hope that helps you.

I'd recommend Rochester Aviation to get your FAA ATPL and Instrument or just your FAA instrument, then do a conversion if you wish.

The ONLY saving is a smaller written exam and I'd suggest you will gain a lot from studying or the INRAT and passing it. Going the US FAA route is in my view not worth it for you unless, you happen to be there and want to do the training there to save some money.

Dauntless and Harv's Air both have very good on line study INRAT materials.